March 4, 2008

Re: Coalition calls for an end to the Day of Silence at Mount Si High School

Re: Coalition calls for an end to the Day of Silence at Mount Si High School

I just read this on the “
Mt Si Parents” blog. I don’t really know how I came across it but I think anyone who goes to Mt Si should give it a look. It’s helpful to me to see what people are saying since I cannot attend the Thursday night board meetings.

One interesting article I read was a copy of a letter from CoDE. It is very well written and makes a lot of sense. It cannot be denied that people who do not participate in Day of Silence for various reasons (i.e. it goes against their beliefs, they don’t care, or it is a waste of time) are labeled as anti-gay homophobes. It’s a joke to see the adults in the community believe it is any different. While I believe that the school needs to crack down on harassment, it does not need to support one group over another. There are not special days for Mexicans or Jews, why do homosexual students deserve one? They do not. In fact, in the posted response to the CoDE letter, the writer suggests that nobody else in the school faces harassment for their beliefs, a statement far from the truth.

The most amusing part was the comments that had been left on the article. People saying that those who ask for a cancellation of the Day of Silence hate gays, people offering that other groups of people are the ones to be hated. The comments most offensive to me were not the ones containing slurs and hate speech specifically about Mormons (after all we are used to that because we have been facing it as a group of people for a couple hundred years now) but the ones suggesting that if the Day of Silence if not held, Mt Si will face its own murder case like the one of Lawrence King. I won’t say what I think about that case in this post because it would make this one too long, but I will say that the proposed idea is absurd. The Day of Silence only fuels more hate. It has not solved problems, only made them worse.

I will close with what one anonymous commenter wrote:

“Discrimination comes from disagreements. This day creates a lot of disagreements. Thus, more discrimination for everyone.”

Well said. Well said indeed.

To me it is also a day not wasted…a rare thing at Mt Si.

Article:
http://mtsiparents.blogspot.com/2008/02/open-letter-to-gaystraight-alliance-at.html

CoDE Website:
http://www.defendeducation.org/

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I don't like the day of silence. I'm all for gay rights. Events like this seem to only be created by and participated in my straight, flaming liberals. Ok I'm being stereotypical and cynical here. While the issue is being heard, which is GSA's motto, its stuff like this, in a majorly homophobic highschool that just generates more hate.

When day of silence went on sophomore year I didn't participate in it. I was labeled as a horrible person and a homophobe. Neither which are true. I wish people could see that by crusading for rights and acceptance they are accusing people who don't participate of being hateful. Its rather hypocritical in my opinion.

Julia said...

The day of silence isn't for supporting the 'gays' over anyone else. it's to call attention to the harassment of the 'gays.' and it is needed, because a lot of people aren't aware of what the 'gays' face and the rights they don't have.
take, for example, matthew shepard. his murder wasn't prosecuted as a hate crime, but he was murdered because he was gay. and the website, CoDE? It isn't a very well run website; it keeps misquoting people and spreading rumors.
Just research stuff before you make judgments, I guess.