January 17, 2009

That Tractor's Not So Sexy Anymore, Is It!

The eternity that is Martin Luther King Day super weekend is only half way through. Oddly enough, I like my classes so much this semester that I cannot stand these long empty days. Today, it feels as though a majority of my time was spent ridding my laptop of some awful country music somehow being played via my AIM account. As a result, I no more have an AIM account. That’s okay though, there were only a few people I would talk to on there and they all have FaceBooks. I’m just glad the ordeal is over. No starting up shows just to be lambasted with Kenny Chesney or anyone else who feels compelled to whine about life at inopportune times.

Yesterday, my roommate told me that a few of the girls in the dorm next to us were talking to her about a larger amount of noise coming from our room. (Was it country music?!?) I guess they are upset because we’ve decided that in our own place we don’t need to feel like we have to use ear buds just to listen to music and watch shows and that we want to have people over…people who like to play acoustic guitars. If it were anyone else in the building complaining, perhaps neither my roommate or I would have been so frustrated by the “intervention” but these girls cannot come to us halfway through the year to give us a discourse on noise. Every day they sing, play music and scream at the top of their lungs. They have piercing voices and frequently entertain guests in their doorway (which is right next to ours). They are in no place to tell us to be quiet when our offences are far less…offensive. While they can go in their rooms and shut their doors, the only room in our door with a door is the bathroom, so we’re sorry that our slight noise penetrates your hallway…deal with it. What they don’t seem to realize is that when they are talking outside our door…about us…we can hear every word. Living in a room with only two people isn’t awkward. In fact, it seems like it would be way more awkward to have to shower at the same time as your roommate in the same bathroom…yeah, that’s way more awkward by far! Plus, they don’t have to listen to the lobby door slam all day long, listen to the oddest poundings on the mailbox and they can more easily escape the constant plunking of the piano. True, this means that many girls in the hall are to blame. The quiet hours were a joke last month, producing more screams and trumping up and down the stairs than had been produced all semester.

That was definitely a rant. I guess what I’m really trying to say is, “No, we will not be more quiet.” They got away with their antics for a whole semester, and we’re not going to let them get to us. They are acoustic guitars for heaven sakes! If you need silence, the government section in the library is usually dead…go there.

Well, glad as ever that I bought my peanut butter four months ago, I’m out.

2 comments:

FitToSeeJane said...

That was so fun. Having observed the Sound Wave that are your neighbors, I have to agree.

caitlin said...

Maybe we should make cookies to apologize for not playing the guitar and watching movies in the bathroom...