August 30, 2009

A Little Jones Never Hurt Nobody

I have so many blog posts to catch up on and a lot to post about, but don’t expect super long posts anytime soon. I just moved into my apartment in Provo and start classes tomorrow.

As many of you know, I like Jones Soda. It’s delicious, it’s pretty and will give you a sugar buzz like nothing else. Last year, I would drink Jones all of the time, putting most of the empty bottles in my window so I could see them whenever I passed by outside. At the end of the year, I had TONS of bottles. I was too sad to get rid of them so I took them all home in a wooden box I had been using as my TV stand. I then had the idea for the following project…

This is the box I got from D.I. It had a weird piece of carpet inside of it, had the names of two girls on the outside, was covered in chipped drab paint and had very ugly hardware.

First, I took off the hinges and handle (with the help of my Dad) and sanded down the paint while filling some of the smaller holes in the wood with putty. I also had a hole drilled in the back to make it easier to store my Dreamcast or other future electronics inside.

Next, I painted the whole box black. I gave it plenty of coats so it would be thick and rich.

After the paint was dry, I Mod-Podged old Jones Soda labels onto the front. For those interested in using Jones Soda labels in a project of your own, I recommend using a box cutter to get them off of the bottle. I’ve tried many things and cutting one slice on either side of the glued edges (the glue is very strong) works the best.

After I was done applying the labels, I Mod-Podged over the top of all of the labels then finished off the entire box with clear spray paint enamel to make it shiny and protect the surfaces, and added lovely new hinges and a modern handle. Here is the final result:

Lovely!

3 comments:

Diana said...

I like it! I may have to steal your idea one day..

ramsam said...

This turned out so great! It looks really awesome. If you ever get sick of it I know a nephew that would kill to have this in his bedroom!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

This really rocks! Love labels. It has a neat junker vibe to it. :)

Donna