September 14, 2009

Like A Whirlpool, It Never Ends

For those of you not familiar with your oldies music, that is “Dizzy” by Tommy Roe. That is also how my head has felt for the past week and a half. For a long time I thought it was just dehydration or left over sickness from before I got my wisdom teeth out. I was wrong.

Lets take a look back at this past week. While I had felt nausea and headaches increasing for some time, this past week I started to notice some things that were…odd. It started when I could no longer read street signs. Not the big speed limit ones, but the small ones with the actual streets on them (a vital thing to be able to see when you have little clue of where you are). Reading signs displayed on the wall was also difficult sometimes. Most of the time it was just after working out, so I chalked it up to being hungry. The next thing I noticed, was the gradual decline of my parking a driving skill. As the week went on, I began parking more and more crooked. I would get out of my car and just stare. I was sure I had done it perfectly. On Saturday, I was parked pretty much at a 45 degree angle from the curb…in a spot that should have been 90. I also began slowing down at green lights, taking turns a little crazier than I normally would have and just generally not doing as well. The more I tried harder to do better, the worse it got.

Skip to today.

This morning I woke up and I was just fine. I had decided to wake up a little early so I could take my time getting ready and getting to class, but soon I began to feel an all too familiar feeling. By the time I opened the door to leave, I felt like I had just gotten off of the a teacup ride. I drove to school and called a doctor’s office to see if I could get an appointment for Tuesday or Thursday, but no. They were booked for five months (even the doctor who had just started). I decided I couldn’t wait any more and went to the ER.

This was very helpful. Sure, my care wasn’t quite as immediate as when I went to the ER previously, but I was only in the waiting room for about seven minutes. I got an awesome bracelet, and I even got to choose what color of gauze I received after the nurse took some blood (I chose pink).

I blurred the info out, but it’s embossed and everything!

I was able to watch TV, but a crazy long lasting storm warning started scrolling across the screen and it made me a little sick, so I fell asleep. I should also mention that I had a CAT scan at some point (and I didn’t even have to walk to the room to get it).

The final diagnosis is that I’ve had a concussion and that I’m still healing, which the doctor said could take a few more weeks to a few months. I got some medication to help with my nausea (or “our nausea”) as well as a referral to a concussion clinic that I have an appointment at on Thursday.

Other highlights of the day include:

When I got back out to my car after the ER visit was over, the parking spot next to me was full of vomit. It grossed me out, but I figured, at least I’ve got it better than that guy! My phone died right as I tried to take a picture, so you have all been spared the horror.

When I came out of Albertsons (obviously looking like I had just been to the hospital, complete with bracelet, gauze arm, and a generally frazzled appearance) a bum asked me for change. I said, “No I don’t have any change!” I’m not even kidding. It kind of reminded me of how much “Intervention” I’ve been watching lately…but it’s weirder when they are asking you for money.

That was my day today. By the way, this got left out. The concussion is from when I hit my head about a month ago.

Okay, now I’m done.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm glad it's something that will heal....but should you be driving? That makes me nervous! Stay safe.

Lynnae said...

My poor baby! Get well! xoxox
(Mushy mom stuff, sorry)