September 28, 2010

Tuesday Tip: Menthol-e Goodness

Or How to Fix the Most Common Skin Ailments With Mentholatum

You read that right. In continuation of my quest to provide the internet world with a year of handy tips I’ve learned, I’ve decided to spill my favorite skin secret…a $6 container of Mentholatum.

It all started when I was a freshman in college. I had a very bad cough and was getting desperate for a solution so I splurged for a cheap container of Mentholatum, which is basically a generic version of Vicks VapoRub. The first night, I tried the typical use, rubbing a little of it onto my upper chest before bedtime. This didn’t help my congestion much so I decided to apply it a little closer to my nose and mouth by rubbing a little bit onto my cheeks (yes, I mean my face). The next morning, I found that this had left my cheeks feeling cleansed and soft. As time went on, I continued to apply the Mentholatum to different areas of my face, trying to figure out what else it could do.

Here are my findings:

  • It moisturizes, seals and protects small, dry patches of skin, especially on the face where normal moisturizers may cause a break out.
  • It helps cold sores in their healing process because it contains most of the same ingredients as Campho-Phenique (an ordinary cold sore treatment).
  • It is the ultimate lip balm due to the petroleum jelly that it contains.
  • It reduces facial swelling, especially around the eyes.
  • It makes for a wonderful foot massaging cream due to the soothing smell, smooth texture and its ability to temporarily relax joints and muscles.

All around it’s a great product. Generally I use it before bedtime so that I don’t have to worry about washing it off or applying makeup over it (because that would definitely get messy). It’s so cheap that if you have any issues like these, you should give it a try. You have to use it for more than a few days though. It will be difficult to use an effective amount until you get used to the smell and sensation of having it on your face. It’s strong (but safe) stuff after all.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Very interesting! I will have to remember this.

Lynnae said...

Mentholatum was our go-to cure for hay fever. Mom didn't believe in us taking a lot of medicine, but we would all get hay fever really bad, especially in the summer when they cut the alfalfa around our house. We would put a dab near each eye and lay around for a while tearing out the pollen. Of course you can't go DO anything, but we didn't have a car anyway.
That makes it all sound a bit crazy, but it is another use.

Arianne said...

I love your new layout! Looks great! I will have to try this!

I think there is a typo in your about me, where it says "living in an exploring" I believe you mean AND :)

Very cute :D

caitlin said...

Love this tip, where (in Provo)should I buy it?

Hillary said...

I know for sure they sell it at the Creamery on 9th, but I'd be willing to bet that it would be anywhere like Smith's or Fresh Market as well.

A Conservative Unclogged Blog said...

I am going to try this! I have a terrible time with under eye puffiness....even when I had youthful skin tone on my side...now that it's gone...I need an arsenal
Thanks for the tip!