October 10, 2010

Happy Homecoming, BYU!

First off, I would like to congratulate BYU on winning their homecoming game last Saturday. While I didn’t watch the game, I could hear the roar of the crowd from my lowly concession stand, and it sounds like there were lots of happy fans that evening.

That’s all fine and dandy, but what about the most important part of homecoming? The homecoming dance?!?

At BYU there is always a formal couples dance and an informal party for couples that don’t want to get dressed up and everyone else, on the Friday before the game. This year, Nick and I went to the formal dance at the Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy, Utah.

It was so much fun to get dressed up in my prom dress from senior prom. There just aren’t enough opportunities in life to wear puffy ball gowns. While we were at California Pizza Kitchen eating dinner, I overheard a little girl asking her mom which princess I was and if I was Cinderella with Prince Charming. She was so excited, and it was very sweet.

The aquarium is relatively small but it was an excellent place for a dance because you could look at the exhibits when you needed a break from the dance floor.

 

It was definitely a wonderful experience. While I’m generally freaked out of aquariums, I made it through the whole night only having a couple panicky moments. The first when I thought the sting ray was trying to climb out of the open water feature in the middle of the dance floor, and the second when I realized what was in the tank that Nick was shining his phone on…an octopus (my arch-enemy). I will admit though, that I did end up touching the sting ray for half a second at the end of the dance. It felt like snot, but at least I can say I did it.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Oh man! They DID have an octopus then. That must have been a challenge for you!

Great pictures.

Maren said...

Beautiful pictures darling. Sounds like you had fun. <3