October 23, 2010

Sick Day Not-So-Blues

This past week I’ve been experiencing a sore throat and fever, so at last, I was convinced by all of the people most likely to catch what we thought was strep or some other infection (i.e. my boyfriend and my roommates), to go to the doctor.

At the doctor, it turned out that I don’t have an infection, but a virus that has been going around the Utah County area that behaves exactly like strep but without the complications of going untreated, but is a virus.

As a result, I have been prescribed a mouthwash made of Benadryl, lidocane and Maalox. It’s a noxious brew and even though I spit it out after I was done gargling and swishing, I still passed out less than thirty minutes later.

Because I had fallen asleep watching TLC, I woke up to some pregnancy show. This wasn’t capturing my interest, mostly because it seemed to be the only show without a dwarf on it. So instead, I went and worked on some genealogy stuff until Nick came back.

Thankfully, he came back with a pizza. I hadn’t eaten anything all day so it was delicious. We also tried out some Australian soda we found at Fresh Market.

While it was a fun experiment, I can’t say that I enjoyed either of them. The ginger beer upset my stomach and was very gingery and the root beer had a very strong black licorice flavor. I think I’ll stick with Jones, no matter how cool the bottles were.

I also got to watch Signs today. Nick doesn’t like that movie, but he picked it out because he knew I liked it. I have to say, no matter how many times I see that movie, no amount of discomfort can beat that moment when you first see the alien out of the bedroom window. While I haven’t enjoyed one of his movies for a while (I watched the Village the other day as well), I appreciate that M. Night Shyamalan has made a few thrilling, “jumpy” movies that aren’t rated R.

For what it was, I had a good day. Sure I’m in pain because my medicine makes it impossible to stay awake, but I will take it in a few minutes and all will be well again.

G’day!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I must have had that same thing. It started as a sore throat for me too, and then became the cold that never ended.

Lynnae said...

I love it. Pizza and a movie sounds like a great sick day. Get better sweetie!

Jon said...

Jordan is watching Signs at her Halloween party.
"Vamanos children!"