October 3, 2010

We’re Goin’ to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

As I mentioned before, I did lots of stuff this summer. However, what I did not mention was that I spent the month of August in Louisiana! I went home with Nick for a visit and so that he could get his knee surgery. We did lots of stuff, which of course I am going to write about, but all in good time, my friends, because this post is about the zoo only…

We went with some of Nick’s family to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. It had been a long time since I’d been to a zoo (and the last was the “zoo” at Lagoon, at that) so I was very excited to see some animals. As luck would have it, the tiger was away, but everything else was just chilling as good zoo animals should.

 

Before you ask, yes, I did take that picture, and yes, I know, it’s easily the best zoo picture I have ever taken. Back when I was a kid and would take my old school film and one-size-fits-all flash camera to the zoo, I would just get blurry shots and reflecting glass. By the time the pictures would get developed a few months later (and that’s an optimistic estimate) I didn’t have a clue what it was a picture of. Digital cameras make zoo photos so much easier. But enough about me, these giraffes are gorgeous!

Now check this guy out. There was a reptile room FULL of reptiles, but the craziest were the snakes. Some of them were huge! Needless to say, the giant fake snake of the ceiling showing the uncurled size of one of the largest snakes made me freak out a little bit when I first saw it and any subsequent time when I thought about it still being above me. But this little froggy has no fears. The frog is poisonous and the snake knows this, so as part of the exhibit, they are kept together. I was lucky enough to see the frog actually sitting on the snake’s head. How crazy is that?

 

Of course the trip would not have been complete without a visit to the swamp exhibit. I got to see oodles of alligators that were hidden in a swampy pool of water (they really know how to sneak around), babies, and albino alligators along with a few other swamp animals like nutria rats and alligator gars.

 DSCN1736

DSCN1733

It was very lucky that I am so small. For the alligator hatchlings, I could crawl under the table and fit in the tube in the middle of their small tank in the gift shop. My little friend here even smiled for the camera.

DSCN1719edit

DSCN1729

3 comments:

Artzy Heart said...

Cute pics! That looks like one fabulous zoo. We're taking our first graders to the zoo this year, but they won't see anything like you did. I like your shelfari books posted....I put mine together in their widgit space, but can't get it to show up on my blog.

Maren said...

Its been forever since I have been to the zoo. In fact I think it has been over 10 years. That all sounds like a blast. I am really going to enjoy taking my kids to the zoo when they are old enough.

Lynnae said...

That looks so fun!!! Sorry about there being no "Little baby nice tiger" for you to see, but you're right, the pictures turned out great!