September 8, 2011

Outrun My Gun

I started hearing Pumped Up Kicks on the radio over the summer. I haven’t heard it since I got back to Utah, along with Little Lion Man (another one of my summer favorites).

This is such a happy upbeat song but check out the lyrics:

Robert's got a quick hand.
He'll look around the room, he won't tell you his plan.
He's got a rolled cigarette, hanging out his mouth he's a cowboy kid.
Yeah he found a six shooter gun.
In his dads closet hidden in a box of fun things, and I don't even know what.
But he's coming for you, yeah he's coming for you.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you'd better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet.                                                                         

Daddy works a long day.
He be coming home late, yeah he's coming home late.
And he's bringing me a surprise.
'Cause dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice.
I've waited for a long time.
Yeah the slight of my hand is now a quick pull trigger,
I reason with my cigarette,
And say your hair's on fire, you must have lost your wits, yeah.

An upbeat song that is also cleverly written. Not something you see a lot of. Of course I would have liked the music video to reflect a little more of the song’s meaning, but the director steering away from that may be to maintain the upbeat nature of the song.

Like everything else on the internet, this song attracts some strange comments of various websites. Some are kind of interesting, dissecting the song like you would in a high school literature class. Others are weirder…like the guy who said that they played this song at his dad’s funeral.

On that note, I have to compile a list of songs to file along with my will.

2 comments:

Lynnae said...

I've analyzed a lot of poems in my day, and I don't get this at all. It's a catchy song but it sounds violent and sad.

Anonymous said...

I agree, catchy beat, upbeat video, but dark lyrics...Even my 72 yr old mom heard it and loved the song...then I read the lyrics to her...