April 17, 2012

Art for Children

I don’t think that I have established this before, but I am studying Early Childhood Education. It is what it sounds like, a major that focuses and the specific development and learning patterns of infants and young children.

One of the things that I enjoy is that I am often encouraged to use art for a number of projects. While this isn’t always something I enjoy the moment (because who really wants to do a big project for school), in retrospect, I’d rather be drawing than researching.

With the semester drawing to a close, I thought I’d show off some of my work this semester.

1) Hickory, Dickory, Dock: Needed to create a video aimed at literacy. I drew up some little pictures using oil pastels and put them together with some narration.

© Hillary Steckler

Check out the video!

2) Golem: Assignment, to read 25 Caldecott winning books, choose one and write and report and produce an original image to reflect the style and content of the book.

© Hillary Steckler

I chose the book Golem, for which all of the illustrations are created from cut and torn paper. I was sick during this assignment, so I had to work with what I had at home…7 colors of paper, and 1 size of scissor.

3) Children’s Song Picture Book: This huge project was for music methods in teaching. We were to choose a song from our text, illustrate and bind it into a book. I chose “Bobby Shaftoe.”

© Hillary Steckler

For the illustrations I used rough, recycled sketch paper and chalk pastels.

© Hillary Steckler

After the illustrations were completed, I scanned the images in at 1600 dpi. I took forever, but printed at full bleed on brochure paper, it was worth the wait.

© Hillary Steckler

Because the images were such large files, the text and music could not be imposed over the top. Instead, I waited for the ink to dry and then ran each page through again to receive the text. That means, each page went through the printer 4 times, as the pages were double sided. I was nervous that I would mess up on the last run through, but it came out beautifully.

© Hillary Steckler

3 comments:

Laura Bytheway said...

These are seriously well done. I love the illustrations!

cate said...

This looks great!

Ioana-Carmen said...

beautiful work!
Can we follow each other?:X

FashionSpot.ro